Saturday, February 25, 2012

End of An Era

Posted by Komal RK at 12:50 PM





It finally came to an end. All the relatives had gone back to the familiar routines at their respective homes, all the friends had gone back, albeit a bit grudgingly, to the different cities they'd flown down from. The house was filled with flowers and an alarming amount of sweets, a bit too much for its 3 inhabitants. The years of waiting, the months of preparations, the countless arguments over the seemingly trifle details had all paid off.

After finishing the pending works, Mom, Dad and I sat down in the living room. It was eerily quiet after a fortnight of non-stop activity; it seemed off somehow. Exhaustion was finally catching up and my parents resigned to rest, for a week as I would find out later. And I, tired like I've never been before, couldn't get to go upstairs where the bedrooms were. There was a horrible feeling of a void so big and permanent it made me numb as it struck me with all its force.

I was not going to be alone. I had my parents. But I wouldn't have someone to wake up in the nights for a mid-night snack, or to have idle chitchat with, someone who I could share a wardrobe with, someone who apart from me would leave an annoying mess in my bedroom, who I could snuggle next to when reminded of a scary ghost story (*embarrassed*), whose opinion was always asked for when confronted with the decisions of attire, food, outings, makeup, shoes etc. So in a way, a major way, I was going to be alone, much more than I realised.

I realize now how big a part my sister played in my life. Twenty three years of living together and one day she decides to get married and leave- I claimed to be the happiest with this development during our fights, when the sentimental sister phase (which are VERY rare) I'd bawl like a baby. But nothing prepared me for what I'd feel when the truth of it actually hit, when I was sitting in the living room of my house alone, too distraught to go to our rooms upstairs which were (much to the distress of my mom) left as they had been the previous day, the day before the wedding, when we had one last crazy night with friends and the bride-to-be.

I had to learn to live without my sister. Sounds simple, I bet most of you'll might even find it amusing or ridiculous. I wish I could too. It isn't like we didn't have our share of fights, some of them really ugly, there were times when we hated each other vehemently, there were times when we both wished, in the heat of the moment, we could be the only daughter, but these couldn't last long enough to change how we really feel. I love my sister, warts and all, and that's all there is to it. (I might deny this and give a very sophisticated and calm lecture, in my true style, when I'm mad at her again).
So here I was, with a heavy heart, a messy bedroom and my sisters entire wardrobe as mine (Yay?).

To be continued...


Picture: Scribbled on my S-memo and uploaded via Lightbox.

8 comments:

Kanchan said...

I love you my baby....you are the best thing in my life....

VPZ on February 25, 2012 at 3:55 PM said...

An end always makes way for a new beginnning... atleast you'll have now to look forward to becoming the favorite aunt someday!! :D... That ought to brighten up your day!...

db on February 25, 2012 at 6:05 PM said...

a very emotional one !! will surely remind everyone their didi's marriage... :)

Komal RK on February 26, 2012 at 1:03 AM said...

:D Exactly what's on my mind!

Komal RK on February 26, 2012 at 1:06 AM said...

Sweet grief of sisterhood :)

Komal RK on February 26, 2012 at 1:08 AM said...

I know right! :P Love you Dee.

In luv with *****! said...

Time is waiting for u to wipe out the loneliness from u ASAP and fill the joy, happiness and many more things which u celebrated,enjoyed,fights,surprises and ur personal and lovely feelings that u shared with ur dee and bring back the past glory in ur life in a much better way as u wouldn't expected in ur life before and in ur future on one fine day u need to wait till dat time .....!

Priya on March 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM said...

I was blog hopping and found this post and loved it. My sister got married just last month, and I find what you've written neither amusing nor ridiculous; it's actually very sweet! My sister and I now make up for the not-living-under-the-same-roof by calling each other up - all the time!! Love your blog.

 

Further and beyond... Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates